Saint George Maronite Cathedral is the cathedral of the Maronite Archdiocese of the city of Beirut, Lebanon. Its construction, with a Neoclassical facade, interior and plan inspired by the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, began in 1884 and ended in 1894.

The cathedral was heavily hit and shelled during the Lebanese civil war and was plundered and defaced. A number of works of art that were looted have since been recovered, including the famous painting by Delacroix representing Saint George, the patron saint of the cathedral and of the Archdiocese of the city of Beirut. The cathedral was restored after the end of the hostilities and was re-inaugurated by the Maronite Patriarch Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir on April 24, 2000.

Saint George Maronite Cathedral

Addresses and Contacts

  • Map

    Amir Bachir Street Downtown Tel.: +9611685055

     

Connect Online

 
 

Upcoming Events

Beirut Chants Festival 2016 Beirut Chants Festival 2016 Festival (Music)
 

Articles & Media

Profile Pictures 9 photos
 

Comments

Avatar 1
Post to facebook
 
 

Map