Originally a chapel constructed in the eighteenth century, it was expanded into a church at the end of nineteenth century under the auspice of then archbishop of Beirut, Mgr. Youssef El-Debs.

Construction was completed in 1907; a plate commemorating this event can be seen above the church’s main doorway.
Seriously damaged during the Lebanese civil war, the church was restored to its former glory and adorned with stained glass on its main facade, tempering the light seeping into it and creating an extraordinary atmosphere of contemplation.

It stands today as a proud symbol of unity between the country’s different communities who congregate to it for quiet meditation.

Saint Elie Maronite Church

Addresses and Contacts

  • Map

    Fakhreddine Street Kantari

     
 
 
 

Comments

Avatar 1
Post to facebook
 
 

Map