Schedules are updated every Thursday.

Marianne Hassoun 12 Jul 2021

Lebanon Is At Risk Of Wildfires, Again

As the summer heat intensifies and temperatures rise to blistering highs, the risk of wildfires is as high as ever.

The Lebanese Agricultural Research Institute has warned citizens of another outbreak of wildfires similar to the ones that occurred back in 2019, with the worsening heat wave.

Their statement warns all farmers and campers to take their precautions as this will threaten homes and green spaces. The wave is expected to intensify at the end of this week and the beginning of next week.

Only 10% of wildfires start naturally (the result of heat or lightning), while the remaining 90% have a human element like unattended camp fires, discarded cigarettes, and arson. Windy seasons and dry weather help accelerate the spread of these fires.

We can only hope that Lebanon be exempted from this occurrence. Considering the currently worsening situation in Lebanon, we don’t want to add wildfires to our monthly list of disasters.