Despite everything happening in the country and in Akkar in particular, we’re happy to share that the third edition of REEF (Rural Encounters on Environment and Film) will be taking place from September 9 to 13. REEF
is the first festival of its kind in Lebanon and the Middle East. It sheds light on rural culture, village life, environmental issues, and nature, and brings the best of international cinema to the residents of Akkar, as well as their stories to the forefront of the national debate on the environmental crisis.
The heart of the festival is located in the beautiful town of Qobayet, it is a celebration of the rural lifestyle and the communities at the heart of the majestic silk factory.
The festival spans over five days and is a combination of workshops, community events, live screenings, food, discussions.
Here is the schedule: Thursday, Sept. 9
Screening of Spread Your Wings (7:00 PM 9:00 PM), Moussa Samaha Mill.
Concert: Jahida Wehbe, (10:00 PM 11:30 PM), Moussa Samaha Mill. Friday, Sept. 10
• Forest Clean-up at Shir El Sanam followed by a discussion about waste with Ziad Abichaker (9:00 AM 1:00 PM), Shir l Sanam.
• A market of local products that will accompany all the conferences and screenings, Silk Factory.
• Conference about Food from Nature and Sleek with Dr. Mark Beyrouthy, (5:30 PM 7:00 PM), Silk Factory.
• Screening of Frugal Nature, (7:30 PM 8:45 PM), Silk Factory.
• Screening of SCALES and AL SIT, (9:00 PM 10:35 PM), Silk Factory. Saturday, Sept. 11
• Fire Trail from Katelbeh to Morghan to witness the disastrous aftermath of the fire followed by a discussion with reforestation experts Dr. Jean Stephan and Dr. Yousef Tawk, Morghan.
• Compost workshop with Waste Management Coalition, (3:00 PM 4:30 PM), Silk Factory.
• Screening of Ghadi in the presence of the filmmaker, (5:00 PM 7:00 PM), Silk Factory.
• Screening of the films participating in the Short Film Competition in the presence of the filmmakers, (7:30 PM 9:00 PM), Silk Factory.
• Screening of 1982 and Omé in the presence of the filmmakers, (9:30 PM 11:30 PM), Silk Factory. Sunday, Sept. 12
• “Wadi Oudeen” From Shadows to Waters Hiking, (9:00 AM 1:00 PM).
• Screening of I am not a Witch, (5:00 PM 6:30 PM), Silk Factory.
• The Award Ceremony of the Short Film Competition, followed by the screening of the film Brussels-Beirut, (7:00 PM 8:00 PM), Silk Factory.
• Rural Dinner: Bulgur, ya baladna, (8:00 PM 9:00 PM), Silk Factory.
• Screening of You Will Die at Twenty and Maradona’s Legs, (9:00 PM 11:05 PM), Silk Factory.
For more on this event, click here
. Monday, Sept. 13
• “Akkar El Atika” Forests Hiking, (9:00 AM 1:00 PM).
• Screening of Child of Nature, (5:00 PM 6:30 PM), Silk Factory.
• Concert: Lami Conservatoire, (7:00 PM 9:00 PM), Silk Factory.
The Great REEF Festival is an event not to be missed, with other activities over the five-day period including short films screenings, rural dinner, local market, forests hikes, food stalls, and environmental workshops. There is something for everyone and countless opportunities to be a part of something great!