Why Are Some Lebanese Spots Obsessed With A Mid 2010s Playlist?
A few Lebanese spots, which shall remain nameless to save them from endless shame, seem to be obsessed with playing songs from the 2014 to 2017 period. Upon walking into their hallowed doors, it is as if you are transported to the mystical lands of the mid 2010s with all the good and bad associated with it.
As I continue, you need to play the above track, so you can get a feel for the vibe we’re getting. I wouldn’t get hung up over this if the playlist had a mix of mid 2010s songs, with some contemporary songs, maybe one or two 80s hits, etc. But it’s because it seems that the playlist is stuck in a vacuum of time and space. Why is this?
Here are some theories we have.
1. The spot opened in 2017, an employee made a playlist and blasted it through the speakers. No one has touched it since.
2. The spot opened in 2017, an employee made a playlist and blasted it through the speakers. The employee got fired and “forgot” the password on their way out.
3. The spot opened in 2017, an employee made a playlist and blasted it through the speakers. The employee got fired. The sound system gained sentience, cried in anguish, and declared that it would do everything to avenge its fallen founder, vowing to never allow any other song to be played through it.
4. The spot opened in 2017, an employee made a playlist and blasted it through the speakers. The employee quit, no one has bothered to work on it since.
5. The spot opened in 2017, the out of touch founder made a “hip” playlist and declared that it shall never be touched
6. The spot opened in 2014, for 3 years they made an effort to stay in touch with the latest music. Then, on one magical day, they just gave up.
7. The spot opened in 2021, a team of expert marketing monkeys was assembled to define the “vibe” and “ambience.” The marketing team declares that what customers really want is to go back to the 1,500 times of 2015. They carefully curate this mid 2010s playlist.
8. The staff engages in self-harm
9. The boss is psychologically harming their staff
10. This is part of a psychological experiment conducted by Harvard University
11. It was all a dream