Some became the face of the Lebanese uprising, others marked history through their art and athletic skills, and all of them have made many proud of their achievements. Here’s a list reminding you of 14 times Lebanese people were completely badass!
1. When athlete Joyce Azzam became the first Lebanese woman to climb the 7 summits.
2. When al-Jadeed TV presenter Rima Karaki shut down a sexist male guest on air.
3. When the first international Lebanese fashion model Andrée Acouri was featured on Vogue Arabia’s magazine cover at 80 years old.
At the age of 80, Lebanon’s first international top model, Andrée Acouri, appeared on Vogue Arabia, to prove that there is no limit to beauty, to say wrinkles formed with every laugh, with every cry, deserve to stay. VOGUE Arabia, Nov 2021. pic.twitter.com/1RApmq5bvJ
4. When an elderly Lebanese man notched a small win against the rigged system.
An 80 year old man named Joseph el Hajj filed a claim arguing that he was owed priority access to the vaccine, access that was stunted by MPs jumping the line. In a wonderful decision, Judge Carla Chawah ordered the Lebanese Ministry of Health to vaccinate Hajj within 48 hours, or else be subject to a fine of 10 million Lebanese Lira for every day the matter is delayed.
5. When the weightlifting athlete Mahassen Hala Fattouh was announced to become the first Lebanese woman to compete in the 2021 Olympics in Tokyo